Spring is a time when the days get warmer, and we all try to spend a bit more time outside. Rather than spending hours inside preparing meals, we’d all rather be outdoors. It’s also a hectic time across South Dakota as farmers get busy prepping equipment and making plans for their return to the fields. The state’s soybean farmers work diligently to produce healthy food for the people and animals who call South Dakota home.
Not only are farmers experts at growing food, many are equally talented at cooking it. Here are a few South Dakota farm family favorites that have stood the test of time and tastebuds. Some of these recipes and other farm favorites can be found at http://findourcommonground.com/the-kitchen-table/. You can also see what life is like for South Dakota farmers and how they work hard to grow nutritious crops and healthy livestock here: https://www.hungryfortruthsd.com/dev_flm_hft/#/page/29/topics/on-my-farm/
Dawn's Potato Soup
- 3 cups Potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup carrots finely diced
- 3 tablespoons Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 3/4 cup cooked ham diced
- 1/2 pound Velveeta or more
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Combine vegetables and boil in water until tender.
- Melt butter in small saucepan and slowly blend in flour.
- Add milk, cooking and stirring until smooth and slightly thick. Gradually add milk sauce to vegetables.
- Add ham and stir until well blended.
- Add cheese cubes, chicken broth and stir.