Need a quick meal on the run or a savory favorite with a little extra nutrition? These soft tacos, enhanced with textured soy protein, are a delicious way to deliver extra protein and vitamins and a tasty way to get more from your meals.
Textured soy protein is at least 50 percent protein and is very low in sodium. It’s also an easy and inexpensive source of dietary fiber, protein and naturally occurring components such as isoflavones. Find this recipe and more information about soy foods at www.soyconnection.com/recipes.
Soy Soft Tacos
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups textured soy protein (TSP)
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon soybean oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup green chilies canned and diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 teaspoons Ground Pepper
- 24 tortillas
- 1-1/2 quart lettuce shredded
- 3 cups Tomatoes fresh and diced
- 3 cups cheddar cheese low fat
- 1-1/2 quart Salsa prepared
- Pour boiling water over TSP.
- Sauté ground beef and onion in oil until beef is no longer pink. Add rehydrated TSP, tomato sauce, green chilies, chili powder, garlic salt and pepper; mix well. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Prepare each serving as ordered. Wrap tortilla in clean towel and microwave at 100 percent power for 20 to 25 seconds. Place tortilla on serving plate, spoon 1/3 cup filling in center. Top with 1/4 cup shredded lettuce and 2 tablespoons each tomatoes and cheese. Fold in half. Serve with 1/4 cup salsa.