Try this light and healthy version of a deli breakfast sandwich. With a tasty spreadable cheese, this sandwich is a great source of low-fat protein. The cheese in this sandwich came from dairy cows that get their protein from a nutritious diet that includes soybean meal.
You may have heard about added hormones in dairy products. Hormones occur naturally in all living things, and they are not something to fear. Even fruits and vegetables have hormones. A small amount of hormones are naturally present in all milk, even organic milk. People break those hormones down through digestion, just like any other protein.
Some farmers choose to use the hormone commonly referred to as rBST to increase a cow’s milk production. According to the Midwest Dairy Association, only an estimated 30 percent of U.S. dairy farmers choose to use rBST with their herds, accounting for 20 to 25 percent of cows in the U.S.
RBST has been proven to be safe, and there are no scientific tests that can discern any nutritional difference between milk produced with rBST and milk produced without rBST. Over 50 countries, including Canada and the European Union, have affirmed the safety of milk and meat from cows supplemented with rBST. Knowing that it is safe, we love that everyone has the choice of which kind of milk – with rBST or without – they wish to provide for their families.
Find more breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas at www.hy-vee.com/meal-solutions.
Power Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 English Muffin Multi-grain
- 1 Egg
- 1 Wedge Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb Cheese
- 2 Slices Tomato
- 2 Slices Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Spinach Leaves
- Kosher Salt Season to taste
- Split and toast english muffin. Meanwhile, prepare your egg to your personal preference - we went sunny side up.
- Spread cheese on toasted english muffin. Cover bottom slice with tomato slice, cooked egg whites, avocado and spinach leaves. Season with salt to taste and cover with english muffin top.