Spring is a time when the days get warmer, and we all try to spend a bit more time outside. Rather than spending hours inside preparing meals, we’d all rather be outdoors. It’s also a hectic time across South Dakota as farmers get busy prepping equipment and making plans for their return to the fields. The state’s soybean farmers work diligently to produce healthy food for the people and animals who call South Dakota home.
Not only are farmers experts at growing food, many are equally talented at cooking it. Here is a South Dakota farm family favorite that stand the test of time tantalizing tastebuds.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 pounds pork shoulder boneless
- 1-2 cups Water
- Mix seasonings together in a small bowl. Put pork shoulder in slow cooker, rub with seasonings, being sure to lift up any pieces that are overlapping. Add water.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours. Cook until the pork is very tender and can be pulled apart with a fork.
- Serve on kaiser or hamburger buns with BBQ sauce.